Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:18:02 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Didier Wiroth <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideas for an old BSD laptop?

--MhSX8IAbx0S7JzA+

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:55:26PM +0100, Didier Wiroth wrote:
>=20
> ---- Messages d=B4origine ----
> De: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
> Date: mardi, janvier 20, 2004 11:36 pm
> Objet: ideas for an old BSD laptop?
>=20
> >=20
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > I haven't used my infamous Toshiba Satellite with FreeBSD 4.8 very=20
> > muchsince I got my desktop system with a flatscreen.  I'm trying=20
> > to think of
> > something interesting to do with it now.  I don't really need a=20
> > separatefirewall, and it doesn't make sense to use it as a=20
> > fileserver.  With a ppp
> > connection, it couldn't easily be a webserver either.
> >=20
> > Any ideas on something interesting to use it for?  Maybe some kind of
> > learning experience?
> >=20
> > NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.
> >=20
> > jm
> > --=20
>
> Perhaps you could use it as a thin terminal client with vnc or even
> windows terminal client (http://www.rdesktop.org/).

Yes, this is a good idea.  Except you maybe you could play around with
network booting - maybe in a diskless setup.  I have been working with
diskless X-terminals for a while (although using Linux ltsp.org) and I
see great potential for schools, Internet cafes and developing
countries.  There is some documentation for diskless booting in the
FreeBSD handbook although I'm not sure how up to date it is:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.=
html

Nathan
--=20
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49

--MhSX8IAbx0S7JzA+

--MhSX8IAbx0S7JzA+--