Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:05:10 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
To:        bp@butya.kz
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Subject:   Re: suggest new "ftp" category

 BP> On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, David O'Brien wrote:
 >> I would like to suggest the new "ftp" category.  There are 30 ports from
 >> "net" that would fit under this category.  30 is more than the number of
 >> ports in the new "irc" and "java" categories.

 BP> 	Very good, 'net' category is overloaded. The only problem that
 BP> not all things fit into one category. Usually they are 'www/ftp'.

Someone proposed net-transfer, which seems a good idea to me. In this
way, things for fetching / uploading files / objects lives in
net-transfer (regardless of protocol, even if they talk HTTP and HTTP
only).  Things still to live in www are indexers, browsers, probably
http servers (even if they seem rather transfer-oriented), HTML
preprocessors, etc.

--
Rasmus Kaj ---------------- rasmus@kaj.a.se - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \                                   !07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH