Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:36:30 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        "Roman Katsnelson" <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: root passwd

Its not often I can answer a question, but hey, every now and then I get
lucky.

>Eek! I forgot the root password!
>
>Well, actually I didn't forget it, I set it, but then the system sorta
>crashed and now it doesn't recognize it anymore. So I went to the FAQ
>and it said to do this:
>
>(boot up in single user mode)
>
>mount -u /
>passwd root
>mount -a
>exit
>
>i have two things about this:
>
>a)it doesn't work -- i get a "passwd not found" command -- anything I
>can do except reinstall from scratch? (full system from FTP -- i'd
>rather not :-)

you are going to have to mount /usr as well since passwd is in /usr/bin
according to my 2.2.5 distrib machine...

mount your /usr partition
and then execute /usr/bin/passwd

also when you mount your / partition make sure that you mount it read-write
otherwise when it goes to change the password, it wont be able to write to
the file.

>b) if it DOES work -- itsn't it a serious security issue that anyone
>with the access to the FAQ (which is every literate person in the
>world!) can get root password? i know that it's probably not, but i
>would just like to be explained WHY not, if possible.

Well, its usually assumed that the console is secure.  This ability is only
available from the console.  Sure its a problem if your machine is not in a
safe place, but if you dont want someone to screw with it in general (if the
machine is _important_ vs a machine you are playing around with), then you
really should put it in a safe place.
While it could be considered a little bit of a security risk, it sure beats
having to reinstall the entire OS simply because your root passwd got
hosed...

Mike Grommet
System Admin, and all around nice guy
Internet Solutions, Inc.