Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:43:05 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Current'" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Multiple choices for RAID-0, best performance?

Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	My understanding is that regular vinum won't work on 5.x, you=20
> need geom-vinum for that.  Recent postings from S=F8ren have lead me =
to=20
> believe that none of the ataraid stuff works with 5.x, either -- you=20
> can use them as plain ATA controllers, but the RAID stuff has not yet=20
> been worked out.

I'm using both regular vinum and ataraid on the production server (which
runs a fairly recent -CURRENT). They both work fine, and ataraid even
updates the metadata for the Highpoint RocketRAID 454 correctly (so that
arrays show up in the BIOS config).

> 	That takes us back down to geom-vinum, geom-stripe,=20
> perhaps some=20
> SCSI RAID controllers which aren't affected by any of the ATA stuff,=20
> and maybe ccd.

I was under the impression CCD didn't to "normal" RAID-0, but instead =
used
some sort of interleaved concatenated mode that resembled RAID-0 for =
some
use-cases. If I'm wrong then that makes the number of choices 5 instead =
of
4. :-)

/Daniel Eriksson

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA0VcX9IoJqUaXPS8MjT1PdsKAAAAQAAAAIYhQe21Et0W9mMkrycq%2B3wEAAAAA>