Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 03:53:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "David P. Caldwell" <inonit@inonit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java...

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:29:44PM -0400, David P. Caldwell wrote:
> This seems like as good a time to ask as any ...
>
> I am very good at *Java*, but adequate at best at C/C++.
>
> I "know" C/C++, but I don't know how to use debuggers, don't have any
> experience making system calls, etc.  This kind of hard-core practical
> knowledge I imagine is important to what you are working on.  (Stuff like
> "run it under gdb and tell me what happens" seems to come up, but I have
> only the vaguest idea what that means and wouldn't know how to interpret the
> output.)
>
> Presumably there are some people with my skill set laying around.  What
> would be the best way for *us* to help out (if there are any right now)?

Thats a valid question :).  Unfortunately there isn't necessarily a lot
that people in that boat can do.  Here are two suggestions off the top
of my head.

1. Use the native JDK.  The more people using it hopefully the more bugs
   can be found.  If you do find a bug, please report and it and preferably
   try and narrow it down to as simple a test case as you can.  The down
   side is that bugs may not be fixed as soon as you may like, but it does
   help.

2. If you're really interested, try your hand at working on the JDK
   source.  Yes, you may have to learn more about C/C++ (or even assembler)
   but a bit of persistence can work wonders.  Just pick a problem and
   go at it!  Ask questions when you get stuck, you may be surprised at
   how happy people are to help when you're having a fair dinkum go at
   things.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com