Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:35:27 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mamoru Iwaki <iwaki@bc.niigata-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdcontrol via atapicam in 4.8-RC

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 13:45:39 +0900, Mamoru Iwaki wrote:
> From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
> Subject: Re: cdcontrol via atapicam in 4.8-RC
> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 07:35:46 -0700
>
> > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 21:44:51 +0900, Mamoru Iwaki wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I cannot playback music from audio CD via atapicam using cdcontrol
> > > in 4.8-RC while mounting of iso9660 data CD works well.
> > > Is it a spec. of atapicam ?
>
> > > The above operations make the following messages in
> > > /var/log/messages without any playbacked sound.
> > >
> > > Mar  6 21:23:59 mi000 /kernel: (cd1:ata1:0:0:0): MODE SELECT(06). CDB: 15 10 0 0 1c 0
> > > Mar  6 21:23:59 mi000 /kernel: (cd1:ata1:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:1a,0
> > > Mar  6 21:23:59 mi000 /kernel: (cd1:ata1:0:0:0): Parameter list length error
>
> > This is a known problem.
> >
> > I fixed it in current, but the code has not yet been MFCed.
> >
> > Until I do that (most likely after 4.8 goes out the door), try using the
> > regular ATAPI CD device with cdcontrol.  e.g.:
> >
> > cdcontrol -f /dev/acd1c
>
> I see.
>
> Hopefully, it would be fixed in 4.8-RELEASE because enabling both
> atapicam and atapi?? looks dangerous; i.e. it is hard to guarantee
> mutually exclusive access to the device, and there is no description
> in case that the device is accessed via both ways simultaneously.

I doubt it'll get fixed in 4.8-RELEASE.  4.8 is in code freeze, about to go
out the door, and I haven't had time to backport things to -stable yet,
much less get it tested for a bit.

I wish I had gotten it in before the freeze, but that didn't happen. :(

My guess is it'll go in after the freeze, and you can pull down a snapshot
or cvsup new sources to get the fixes.

As for accessing the devices simultaneously -- yes, you can shoot yourself
in the foot if you're not careful.  We've had the same issue with the
normal CAM devices for a while.  You can say access the cd(4) device while
you're burning a CD via the pass(4) device and mess up the burning process.

The simple answer to that problem is "don't do it". :)

There's nothing inherently more dangerous about enabling the atapi code and
atapicam at the same time.  Just don't use the cd(4) and acd(4) devices
(that share the same underlying physical device) simultaneously and you'll
be fine.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry