Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:34:45 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

I think we need software that blocks spam out of the box.

Server Side:
I've found that most of my time is spent installing addons for sendmail
to do virus scanning and spam prevention.  Why don't mail servers have
spam assassin, black lists, etc. enabled and installed with a base set
of rules to prevent spam?  Every  release of the software would also
need to include new rules, but your ip list solution needs updating all
the time too.

Client Side:  email clients all need spam and virus filters.  Many have
them now, but there should be a central filter database for clients
too.  I wouldn't get these stupid worms all the time if they were
deleted.. most of them have the same subject.. simple pattern matching.
  I often find myself creating filters to delete them myself.    I
switched to apple mail from Netscape 7 to get spam filtering in january
client side.

I do understand the counter argument about blocking ips.. but i think
thats frustration talking.  Even if ip blocking is an improvement, it
won't stop spam.

> Today its far to easy to get your email out on the 'net. Even the
> "high school dropouts" as you call the spammers can buy a cheap DSL
> connection, setup a mailserver and spam like crazy untill the ISP gets
> enough complaints to cut them off. When that happens, they get a new
> connection and start all over.
>
> As long as we rely on the old and very outdated SMTP protocoll that
> powers the net today, precautions will have to be taken very soon, or
> email will be useless in a few years.
>
> --

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)