Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 14:18:59 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Darrel Herbst <dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnet hangs over slip to freebsd boxes?

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Darrel Herbst wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem with telnet/rlogin/ftp from a freebsd box
> that has to dial up via slip or ppp.  Any telnet/ftp/rlogins hang up
> after the initial socket connection is made to another freebsd box
> that I have set up with ethernet nics.
>
> I can ping them, and they reply, but telnet's get as far as making the
> connection (which I can see via netstat) but after it tells me that
> the escape character is ^] I don't see the login: prompt, nor do any
> characters I type get sent over the modem line.  I don't see the rd/sd
> lights blink when I hit keys.  However, after a period of time the
> connection is closed by the remote host (I'm assuming because of a
> timeout).
>
> I can telnet to these freebsd machines when I run linux on the dialup
> machine.  When I'm in freebsd I can telnet to a sun, and get to the
> ethernet'd freebsd boxes indirectly.  I can telnet/ftp/rlogin fine
> to/from other freebsd boxes that are connected via ethernet, so I'm
> thinking that something is not right with my machine that must access
> through dialup.
>
> The machines are running 2.1R.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu

I had the same problem with a couple of machines when accessing them via
ppp on an annex terminal server.  The fix for me was to turn off TCP
extensions in /etc/sysconfig.

cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !