Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:17:07 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "=?windows-1251?B?wOvl6vHg7eTwINLq4Pfz6g==?=" <Santana@mog-pod.vinnitsa.com>, <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with CD-ROM installation (ATAPI)

    wdc0: unit1 (atapi):<HITACHI CDR-8330/0007>, removable, acce1,dma,
iordis
    acd0: drive speed 1779-4134 kB/sec, 128 kB cashe
    acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, packet track
    acd0: Audio: play, 255 volum levels
    acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
    acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120 mm photo disc loaded, unlocked

  HEWLETT PACKARD
   24x Max IDE CD-ROM Reader

To my knowlege, the ATAPI driver is reading that HITACHI string right out of
the CDROM drive itself, and not simply making some kind of conclusion.
Therefore, I would make the assumption that Hewlett Packard probably has a
contract with HITACHI to manufacture their cdroms.  Not entirely uncommon.