Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:34:10 +0100
From:      Dan Andersson <Dan.Andersson@btinternet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X-windows and xdm

Hi all

I'm trying to get my X11 to be the 'default' desktop environment.

But when I start the 'xdm -nodaemon', I can only do 'emergency logins'
as root, not as
any ordinary user.

The 'emergency login' is when I enter username, password with
<cntrl+enter> instead of
just <enter> in the login window.

Last time i tried this, i had similar problems but now I just don't
remember what was the
problem. I hava a very good memory but it's unfortunately very short...
The last time
I did this was with freebsd 1.1-something with X11R5...

I checked the file protection, but this should not be a problem when
logged in as root.

When I try to log in as root, it just bounces and restart the login
window. I must press
cntrl+enter go go into an emergency mode without any x11 starting
scripts, no window manager etc,
just 'raw' x11 with one xterm window, like a 'xinit' startup.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Dan Andersson