Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:18:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        stesin@gu.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: File system/disk recovery tools ?

[ Re: Western Digital IDE drives ]

>         I'd add that WDC 31200 are no better -- 2 of them died on me
>         since Jan. 1st.
>
>         Is this kind of failure rate common to all those cheap IDE Western'
>         drives?

We've had 2 of 4 (WDC 31200 and WDC 31600) fail in Gateway systems
less than a year old.  The last one that failed, Gateway sent us a
Seagate as a replacement - I wonder if they have been getting a
high rate fo returns on the WDs (not to plug Seagate IDE drives).

Needless to say, all of our other systems are SCSI based without
_any_ failures yet (knock on wood).

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org