Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:42:28 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: grub doesn't know ufs filesystem

RW wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 16:36, Micah wrote:
>
>>Some of the grubs that ship with Linux distros
>>do not support ufs.
>

> I'm curious as to why people care about this so much. There are numerous
> threads about whether or not particular bootloaders support UFS.
>
> A bootloader needs to understand Linux filesystems to boot Linux off a logical
> partition, but BSDs slices are always on primary partitions. Is there really
> any advantage to going directly to /boot/loader, rather than simply chaining?

I used chainloading for a while until I wanted multiple installs of
FreeBSD on the same drive.  Using chainloading from grub always booted
the first FreeBSD regardless of which slice was specified in menu.lst.
Changing it to use /boot/loader allowed me to actually have more than
one FreeBSD on the same drive.

Also, grub places some files on a host filesystem.  It may be more
convenient to have those files stored on UFS rather than FAT or EXT.  Or
you may have a system that consists only of multiple FreeBSD installs.
In that case, if you use grub (rather than FreeBSD's manager), you'd
have to make a partition solely for grub.

HTH,
Micah