Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:57:40 -0400
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@xenya.si>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 11 Mbit/s WaveLAN card

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 03:28:37PM +0200, Marko Cuk wrote:
> Chris, you mean, that BSD is now capable of emulating BSS mode ?
>
> Many thanks, Marko

BSD can do IBSS mode in the sense that a BSD machine can establish a Basic
Service Set (BSS). This works if the card that you have has Firmware 6.xx or
higher.  There was a problem in the 4.xx firmware which would not allow IBSS
mode to work. What you cannot do with the BSD box is bridging. I'm trying to
figure out if you want to do bridging since WEP offers no practical security
but that's another issue.

--
Chris Hilton                                 chilton-at-vindaloo-dot-com