Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:05:47 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Alberto Pandolfo <alberto@ipmcomms.co.uk>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help!

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 at 13:11 SAT, Alberto Pandolfo wrote:

> I'm novice about UNIX and freebsd.

No problem.  ;-)

> How can I know the name of my floppy device in my machine

The first floppy disk are accessed via the device files /dev/fd0*
The second one via /dev/fd1*

The extensions to the device names refer to the possible disk sizes.

> and how can I
> read the contents of a disk?

Is it an MS-DOS disk?  In that case, you have two options:
1. You can mount the floppy disk as an MS-DOS filesystem.  See the man page
   for mount_msdos(8)
2. You can use the "mtools" suite of tools to access files on the floppy.
   There is a FreeBSD port for mtools.

If it's a native FreeBSD (UFS) floppy, refer to the man page for mount(8).

> I've heard about mounting the device; what is the command? How does it
> work?

Refer to the man page above.  :-)

> Is this the right place for these questions?

Absolutely.

> where can I get some good
> references?

Try "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey.  Read through the FreeBSD Handbook
on http://www.freebsd.org/

> Can you help me?

Probably not.  ;-)

-- V