Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 23:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Justin White <just6979@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   patch level in name? (Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself...)

--- Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org> wrote:
--- snip ---
> How do we feel about 4.4-RELEASE-PATCH1, 4.4-RELEASE-p1 or
> 4.4-RELEASEp1 for
> the first commit RELENG_4_4 and 4.4-RELEASE-p2 for the second.... ?
> > This idea has already been mentioned by various other people, but
> seems to
> have been largely ignored by the rest of the conversation which,
> quite
> understandably, became more interested in vegetables and flightless
> birds. :-)
> > I think this is the best option for several reasons :
> > 1) It makes it clear that the version you are running is basically
> 4.4-RELEASE plus 'something'.
> > 2) We can tell at a glance whether you are patched against a
spacific
> > vulnerability. Security advisories can say "patched in
4.4-RELEASE-p5
> simply
> type 'uname -r' to determine if your system has been updated since
> the
> vulnerability was patched"
> > My original problem with the concept with the -SECURITY name was
that
> you
> can't tell if you have been patched against something. Of course,
> just
> calling it -SECURITY doesn't make it any more obvious, but the patch
> numbers
> do make it obvious.
--- snip ---

I just cvsupped to stable for the first time a few weeks ago. i've been
reading the list and seeing all this confusion. i have to say i fully
beleive it's from not reading the documentation thouroughly. i read the
handbook, asked around a little, and read a bunch of FAQs. i've always
felt i had a good idea of what -RELEASE , -STABLE, and -CURRENT meant.
Reading all theis about names has confirmed what I had gathered, simply
**from reading the docs**!

Anyway, I have to agree with the idea of patches being incorporated
into the name for RELENG_4_3. You'll be able to know from a glance what
fixes are incorporated into a particular build on a particluar machine.
Even if only effected binaries are rebuilt, you at least have a base to
be sure of certain fixes. Since this branch is based mostly on
security, quickly being able to tell what security fixes are present is
a Good Thing.

So I vote for either patch numbers (4.4-RELEASE-P2) or minor-minor
(right term?) release versions (4.4.2-RELEASE). Unless perhaps release
engineers want to reserve minor-minor version numbers for things that
are too "big" for RELENG_4_3 type branched, whatever it ends up being
called.

Of course, if we do want to switch to naming every release, like
Debian, or otherwise, both techniques still work. IE: 4.4-BEET-P2 or
4.4.2-BEET

-Justin