Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 23:19:22 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: project truck.....ideas wanted

Hi,

> We would like to use FreeBSD to sample temperatures water, oil, tranny
> fluid, exhaust ports, intake etc., (tired of analog gauges), GPS and
> anything else that we or you can do with it. We want to be able to read all
> of these samples after each run so we can see exactly how the engine is
> performing.

I presume you want to record a complete history of each during the run.
How long is a run, 10 seconds, 10 minutes?
How many samples do you want to record per second?
I've been out of racing for alot of years, only thing GPS tickles is Global
Positioning, I assumme you mean something else (or do you?)?

---
> We just aren't sure were to get parts. Our best guess is to use stuff that
> is used in the manufacturing industry that can be sampled by a FreeBSD
> machine or maybe even some modified SmartHouse stuff.

I suggest you want to use standard automotive sensors, they will come in
the right mechanical forms to fit the locations they are destined for.
There's no magic to them, for the most part they are just a resistor
that changes value over temperature or pressure.  There may be a need for
more exotic sensors in a few places, but you mostly will be sensing either
resistance or voltage.  For things like rpm you will be counting pulses.

---
> We can do testing
> with a desktop, but ultimately we will need to use a mobile computer which
> I am sure we should be able to get at least temporarily from a sponsor.

I don't see the need for a laptop, if thats what you mean by mobile.  It wont
be able to hold all the analog/digital cards you will want to use.  And a truck
must certainly have a place big enough to hold a standard (small) pc case.
Consider making a custom case of clear/smoked plexiglass to show it off.

Can the computer control the engine, etc. in this class?  Or can it ONLY
log data?  If all it is allowed to do is log data I would consider
placing a simple datalogger machine in the truck, then dump to a freebsd
box in the pits via a network or port cable for ananlyis.

Consider solid state disk and/or diskless for the truck if possible.  A
hard disk is asking for mechanical failure.

---
> Currently we have Federal-Mogul sponsoring us with others pending. We will
> of course like to put the FreeBSD daemon on the side of the truck and help
> cross-promote the FreeBSD scene.

Sounds like a FreeBSD opportunity to me!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by