Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:10:52 +0300
From:      Corvette <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL modem question

* Hocking, David A <david.a.hocking@intel.com> [20010124 09:25]: writing on the subject 'DSL modem question'
Hocking,> Dear Sirs:
Hocking,>
Hocking,> I have two PC's; one is now proudly running FreeBSD OS.  Can I use my
Hocking,> internal DSL modem/ISP service located in my Windows98 SE machine to connect
Hocking,> to the internet from my FreeBSD machine?  These two machines used to be
Hocking,> directly connected via ethernet(UTP, NIC cards, NE2000 compatible, no hub)
Hocking,> for file sharing when both were Windows machines.  I have a hub if I need to
Hocking,> use it.

The Redmond guys say you can do that. Connect them to a hub, go to the Windows box
and enable connection sharing on that interface. Then tell FreeBS that it has a friend
who could take it out for a walk - to the Internet.

defaultrouter="ip_address_of_windows_pc"

Change this is /etc/rc.conf and tell 'us' if it works.

Hocking,>
Hocking,> Am I dreaming?
Hocking,>
Hocking,> How about;  Could I use my DSL modem and FreeBSD to connect to the internet
Hocking,> if I loaded FreeBSD in a dual boot scenario on one machine?

Just make sure that the card is supported by FreeBSD. Check the hardware section of the Handbook
at www.freebsd.org/handbook

Hocking,>
Hocking,> What is the best way (protocol) to network the two machines?

TCP/IP

Use any other if you can compile it in FreeBSD kernel and set it up.

Hocking,> These questions may not be worthy.  I'm still doing my homework.  I did
Hocking,> manage to get FreeBSD installed and X11 configured with only the help of
Hocking,> available documentation.

Then you're on the right track, congratulations. Now you have KOffice and Conqueror,
maybe you can just trash the M$ ;-/

Hocking,> My interest in Unix stems from the fact that I "own" /maintain an
Hocking,> application that runs on a  SCO server at work.  We have professional
Hocking,> support, but that's no fun!!  UNIX is fun and it's become a real hobby for
Hocking,> me now.

Welcome aboard.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Be not afraid of life. Believe that your life is worth living, and your belief
will help create the fact.