Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:10:25 +0100
From:      Roland Jesse <jesse@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   leafnode+, DNS, and a dialup connection using i4b

Ok, thanks to i4b, my isdn connection is more or less up and running
and I do my best to ignore the "File exists" error by ifconfig. But I
still don't get the whole dilup setup done correctly. The world was
just so much easier with a steady internet connection. :->

How does one setup a DNS lookup? I am planning to use leafnode+ to
fetch news for me. Leafnode+ is started via inetd with the following
entry in /etc/inetd.conf:

------- cut -------
nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/sbin/leafnode leafnode
------- cut -------

Nothing special, I would say. Whenever I do a 'telnet localhost nntp',
I get the following syslog message:

------- cut -------
Jan 20 20:55:07 arthur leafnode[671]: unable to parse server (server news.cs.uni-magdeburg.de has no =)
------- cut -------

Ok, so I put the ip address of this news.cs machine in /etc/hosts:

------- cut -------
141.44.21.70            loriot loriot.cs.uni-magdeburg.de news news.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
------- cut -------

/etc/host.conf is of course

------- cut -------
hosts
bind
------- cut -------

The above error message stays the same. That's why I thought having a
little own named would be a nice idea.

That's the try for /etc/resolv.conf:

------- cut -------
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 141.44.1.2
nameserver 141.44.1.1
domain uni-magdeburg.de
------- cut -------

with the following in /etc/rc.conf:

------- cut -------
named_enable="YES"		# Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="named"           # path to named, if you want a different one.
named_flags="-u bind -g bind"	# Flags for named

That was bad as the machine was opening a new connection every ten
minutes (for exactly 145 seconds as /var/log/isdnd.acct is telling
me). Even though named is telling me via syslog that it is "Ready to
answer queries." the above error message by leafnode+ stays the same.

I am more or less out of ideas and would very much appreciate any
pointers to possible errors in my setup, things I missed, and manpages
I should consult to proceed.

	Roland