Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:00:11 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, David Kramer wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>
> I ask, because I'm going to be building a new server at home in a few
> weeks (firewall/ipmasq/web/mail/ftp/ssh/couple users).  I'm a long-time
> Linux user, but now I'm using FreeBSD a lot from work.  I've been
> considering using FreeBSD instead of Linux for the new server, but I'm
> having trouble finding *recent* *objective* advantages to one over the
> other.  For instance, I know the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack was much tighter and
> more secure in the past, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Well. I don't have any problems with the linux kernel itself, but I haven't
found a distro I like as much as freebsd. That said, if a client wants
RedHat or Debian or whatever, I'll install that. =0)

The main reasons I like FreeBSD over Linux are:

1. I like ipf or ipfw better than ipchains/netfilter
2. I like ports system better than rpm or deb
3. I like the feeling of a 'whole OS' instead of a kernel and a bunch of apps
   put together by a vendor.
4. No 'libc of the week'

As you see, they are subjetive, so YMMV.

				Fer