Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:13:49 -0500
From:      "Jeff Palmer" <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
To:        "Ralph Huntington" <rjh@mohawk.net>
Cc:        "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@ofug.org>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Couple of concerns with default rc.firewall

I'm not sure if you two are bored,  or what the problem is.   Let me
re-iterate the last two lines of my original message.

"Is there any reason in particular,  that ALL icmp traffic is denied by
default,   except for using the 'open' ruleset?
Or is this just a simple oversight,  that needs to be examined?"

I'm ASKING if it was an oversight that the DEFAULT policies (other than
'open') are denying ICMP.  As it is typically agreed that some ICMP types
are beneficial.
I know damn well how a firewall works.  I also know how to modify it for MY
needs.  (You might have noticed in my original post, that I said I use a
modified simple ruleset,   ICMP's is just one of the modifications..)  I'm
not asking why it blocks ICMP's due to a lack of knowledge about how packet
filtering works. I'm asking why the default firewall blocks beneficial
ICMP's  due to the fact that some people hear "install a firewall,  install
a firewall"  and don't know the first thing about it.   Chances are high
that they are using these default rules,  which block ICMP's.

I've monitored this list for quite some time.
I'd rather this thread not be turned into the circus that you two seem to
enjoy.

It's a legit concern,  and I'd rather it be addressed publicly.