Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:43:51 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Dr. Hein" <s.hein@spinner.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:57:00PM +0200, Dr. Hein wrote:

> Upgrading from one FreeBSD version to the next release,
> which  I have repeatedly, successfully, and very happily
> accomplished since FreeBSD Release 2.7  [each time with

2.2.7, presumably.

> [I won't speak about the gloating grin of the Linux party liners
> under my colleagues, observing me].

Remind me someday to tell you about all of the problems I have
maintaining a network of 20 RedHat workstations at Uni, and all of the
preposterous things that go wrong there.

> To be concrete in some examples:

Neither of these things you mention are related to upgrading of
FreeBSD, they're third party applications running on FreeBSD which you
installed through the ports collection.  Just be careful who you're
really blaming here.

> After installing  cups, for instance - why does the pertinent
> printer setup and configuration tool [QT-CUPS, or CUPS WWW.admin.tool]
> not automatically appear in the KDE  Task Manager  [as the two
> do under Mandrake Linux, e.g.] ?

Because no-one's made it do that.  If you wanted to be constructive,
you could go and figure out how Mandrake Linux does it, and submit an
update to the CUPS port.

> Or:  past a regular apsfilter setup [completely done in the very
> familiar way], why  leads the  first printer call [lp  file1, e.g.]
> to an error message ['lp: error - no default destination available'
> - without any further explication or indication to the non-expert,
> where this may be cured of. - The printer 'lp' was explicitely
> mentioned in the setup configuration] ? And why, by heavens!
> is the 'default destination' of lp not simply made 'available',
> possibly on request, on running apsfilter setup ?

This is an apsfilter problem, not a FreeBSD problem.  Talk to the
apsfilter port maintainer, or the apsfilter developers (actually the
same person).

> These and further [formerly not encountered] complications may
> have their reasons and justifications. - What I, and certainly
> some other average users, primarily notice is that FreeBSD
> installation and upgrading is becoming each time less handy.

=46rom the above, I think you're really angry at the failure of third
party applications in FreeBSD, not FreeBSD.

Kris
--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--