Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:06:32 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        TooMany Secrets <toomany@toomany.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with localization in Gnome 2.20.2

--=-joet/3JzVsAjV82LhD+t

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 17:22 +0100, TooMany Secrets wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> Not used gnome since 2005 and freebsd 6.0 (I think), but now I have
> re-installed on a 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD i386.
> The problem was that I had never had problems with accents and other
> locations for the Spanish, but now if I have to.
>=20
> The problem is that I have all the gnome in Spanish correctly, but if
> I open a gnome-terminal, I can not use certain characters like accents
> and / or "=F1". By contrast, console (noX), I have no problem
> whatsoever.
>=20
> The data that I can give are:
> Shell: Bash
>=20
> Xorg Configuration:
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier "Keyboard0"
>          Driver "kbd"
>          Option "Protocol" "Standard"
>          Option "XkbLayout" "
>          Option "XkbModel" pc105 "
>          Option "XkbRules" xorg "
>          Option "XkbVariant" "winkeys"
> EndSection
>=20
> - /etc/login.conf:
>=20
> :lang=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:\
>         :charset=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:\
>         :lc_all=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:\
>         :lc_messages=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:\
>         :lc_monetary=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:\
>         :lc_numeric=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:\
>         :lc_time=3Des_ES.ISO8859-15:
>=20
> - .bashrc:
>=20
> export LC_ALL=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
> export LC_CTYPE=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
> export LANG=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
> export LESSCHARSET=3D"latin1"
> export LC_COLLATE=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
>=20
> - .bash_profile
>=20
> export LC_ALL=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
> export LC_CTYPE=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
> export LANG=3D"es_ES.ISO8859-15"
> export LESSCHARSET=3D"latin1"
>=20
> - .xinitrc
>=20
> LANG=3Des_ES.ISO8851-15: export LANG
>=20
> And I do not think I miss nothing more... Why I cannot use correctly a
> terminal-shell (gnome-terminal or xterm)???

First, check your LANG in the terminal (echo $LANG).  Next, check the
current character encoding under Terminal > Set Character Encoding (or
whatever that is in Spanish).  Finally, check Keyboard Capplet's Layout
tab to make sure a Spanish keyboard layout is selected.  I tested
everything except changing my layout, and I can paste a =F1 into
gnome-terminal from gucharmap:

% =F1
=F1: Comando no encontrado.

So it can be made to work.

Something else you might try is using es_ES.UTF-8 as your locale.

Joe

--=20

--=-joet/3JzVsAjV82LhD+t

--=-joet/3JzVsAjV82LhD+t--