Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:16:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        koden@well.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc v2.7.2 and libg++ v2.7.1

On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Thomas Graichen wrote:

> hasn't Chuck Robey said ? ...
> >
> > On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Chaos Boy wrote:
> >

> > > Does anyone have fixes for the gcc v2.7.2 and libg++ v2.7.1 distributions
> > > so that I can compile it for FreeBSD 2.1? I'm having a problem installing
> > > libg++ v2.7.1 where it exits because of a problem with the .weak assembly
> > > directive. Any help appreciated and if you have fixed makefiles or source
> > > files, please send them to me via email (attachments). Thanks.
> >
> > I understand that gcc-2.7.2 builds correctly right out of the box.  I am
> > going to send you the text of Doug Rabson's recent post, where he gave a
> > tool for building the libg you want, but I'll send it separately, cause
> > the list has already seen it.
> >
> it builds but you get problems if you want to build libg++ because the
> weak symbols (and maybe other stuff) are set wrong in the freebsd.h
> file of the gcc distribution (the weak problem you may fix by
> commenting out the WEAK something part there) - some people have fixed
> this for themselves - some fixes were posted to various lists here -
> but i think nobody sends the fixes back to the FSF so that we can
> _really_ build any new gcc out of the box on FreeBSD - so - please -
> anybody who adapts FSF code to FreeBSD - send the fixes back to the
> FSF so that we don't have to do all that again for each new version

If you have access to a corrected freebsd.h, could you maybe post the diffs?
If you did that, and I used Doug Rabson's libg++ bmake post, I could then
build a complete gcc-2.7.2/libg++-2.7.1 environment, right?

> just my point

>   _______________________________________________________||___________________
>                                                    __||
>   Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
>   longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
>   is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
>                                    __||
>   - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;