Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:33:53 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        mixtim@mixtim.homeip.net
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

Mixtim wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:16:04AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > Here's the thing.  I thought that was a great idea - until I started
> > installing (ick) RedHat 7.1 on a few machines here at the office.  It
> > has everything closed off, so remote access is not possible off the hat
> > (ssh will work, but you have to add a local non-root user).
>
> I should have stated ssh as an exception. You almost always have to have
> it running. Of course, logging in as root and executing the sshd command
> only takes a few seconds.
>
> > Plus, anyone installing FreeBSD should have a good idea that they are
> > installing an OS that has many servers running, some possibly easy to
> > hack.
>
> If CodeRed taught us anything it is that there are more than enough
> clueless admins on the net. Just because someone installed FreeBSD
> doesn't mean they are that much more intelligent.
If CodeRed taught us anything, it's to not use Microsoft OS's for
production servers.  Yes, there are a lot of clueless admins out there,
but the reason MS has made such shotty software for servers (in my
opinion) is because they continue to dumb it down, making it simpler and
simpler to set up.  This is exactly the reason that everyone and their
dog thinks they can be a SysAdmin and do just fine.  I guess it's kind
of a survival of the fittest thing.

> > It isn't up to the programmers of the operating system to protect the
> > users of it.
>
> Then why is there a security@freebsd.org address?
Good point, but thats a little different.  Warning those who care
(subscribers of the list) about security advisories is MUCH different
than making the OS mute because a percentage of the installers can't
figure out (or don't know that they SHOULD figure out) how to turn off
sendmail, telnet, etc.  It just won't save the experienced users any
time to have them disabled, and it won't stop the 'clueless' from being
just that.