Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:31:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?B?TeFyY2lvIERhdmlk?= <marciofdavid@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ? What kind of OS is that ?

> I'm using M$ Win ME right now. I tried windows 95/98/ME/2K, MacOS,
> Linux (many distributions), BeOS, and some others OSs ! hehe Well,
> looking at all those OSs, I decided to continue with my old M$
> OS........ But now I wanna something new ! Something diferent... not
> just a new stupid linux distribution that takes 5 hours to make it
> work and about a month to make the damn internet work. So, i would
> like to know if FreeBSD is a DIFERENT OS, or it's just another
> "Linux-like" OS. Exemple : Will i see a stupid prompt asking me to
> type "root" when i turn on my computer ? Will i have to use wich
> Graphical interface ? (please, say it's not KDE...) Guess that's all.

OK, lets answer your questions.

1) As for ease of use: it's not windows, if you took 5 hours to get linux
working, (any distribution) and a month to get the internet working, then
FreeBSD will most likely be harder for you. If you want ease of use stick
with winblows or BeOS. Just for comparison though, once you get everything
working, you'll find that you can install and configure a system in less
than an hour, sometimes 30 minutes. (on my machine, that's faster than
windows installs, and I have only ever installed FreeBSD from the network,
never from CD)

2) Linux-like is the wrong way to put it. FreeBSD is UNIX-based, Linux is
a UNIX clone, so Linux is UNIX-Like, and FreeBSD is UNIX-based.

3) When you first install the machine, you will see a login prompt, this
is expected behavior for any UNIX based or UNIX like operating system, and
it's not stupid, it's just not windows as I said before.

4) You can choose which Graphical Interface is installed when you're
installing the operating system. KDE-2, Gnome, Windowmaker, etc... it's up
to you.

5) to me it seems like your idea of a good os is one that is easy and
doesn't crash much. Well I've never had FreeBSD crash, and it's hard to
learn at first, but once you learn it, it becomes easier, and more logical
than windows. (I can fix a FreeBSD problem in minutes usually, most often
without even rebooting the machine, where my windows expert friends often
fix their problems by rebooting the machine)

Ken