Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 01:33:18 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        robert <robert@mhi-tx.com>, freebsd list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: ftp and symbolic links

> ftpd does a chroot.  And everything it uses must be under the ftp root.
> I'm not explaining this very well.  But you can't do a cd outside the tree
> below the ftp home directory.  Hopefully someone else will step in and
> explain better.

It does a chroot for anonymous FTP.  root is ordinarily not allowed to
login to ftp, for obvious reasons, but ordinary users can login to a
default configured ftpd as themselves and start in their home directory.

I wouldn't recommend doing this over the public internet though and suggest
that the '-A' flag should be used for most servers accessible that way.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net