Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 02:51:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        Meerwaldt@t-online.de
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, Meerwaldt@t-online.de, spider90@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partitions

> From: Meerwaldt@t-online.de (Frederik Meerwaldt)
>
> Hi!
> > >
> > > Delete Windows as it's the biggest bullshit. Then just install FreeBSD and
> > > be happy (you can do everything with FreeBSD, which you can do with
> > > Windows. The difference is: faster, more stable, reliable...)
> > >
> > > Have fun.
> >
> > Not actually what was asked.  Moreover, this style (attacking Windows,
> > in an effort to prove FreeBSD better) does not differ much from the
> > methods used by some companies when they're spreading FUD.
> >
> > Apart from being offensive, do you have any *real* data to back up your
> > claims that:
>
> Dunno how you mean this, but I can tell you reasons:
>

> > a) Windows is the biggest bullshit.
>
> It hangs very often, it's slow, it's uncomfortable, it lives in its own
> world (no nfs, nis, the standard stuff), BSODs,.... I think that's clear.
> > b) The specific user can "do everything with FreeBSD, which he/she can
> >    do with Windows".
>
> Which reasons do you want there? Tell me one thing, which you can't do
> with FreeBSD

Apparently, you can't get an unbiased evaluation.

I've wiped this response and started over 5 times.  I'm finding it
hard to phrase things without coming across as aggressive.

I believe the point that is trying to be made here is that it is
generally considered unproductive to make very generalistic claims
about Windows *or* FreeBSD (or any other operating system for that
matter).  A better approach would be to cite specific issues with the
intent of allowing the reader to make up their own mind about the
suitability of one system over the other.

For example, Windows is frequently cited as being less stable than
FreeBSD, and when a program does crash, it often takes the entire
system down with it.  FreeBSD has its issues as well, but it is
designed to prevent any one program from taking down the entire
system.  This should be considered if you anticipate using your
machine in a production environment.

On the other hand, Windows has a tremendous advantage in its common
interface.  If you're familiar with one Windows program, you'll find
other programs similar enough in basic operation as to be intuitive.
FreeBSD, as well as most of the other UNIX-like systems, has a fairly
steep learning curve, or at least a significant "forgetting curve",
for those coming from the Windows environment.

The last image we want to portray to someone who is investigating
FreeBSD as a primary or secondary operating system is that of a bunch
of "religious zealots" who decry anything Microsoft simply for the
sake of its origin.

It is also important to note that the person who posted the original
message had asked how to install both operating systems.  The initial
response to that question was, essentially, "don't", which does not
answer the question at all.  If the poster was comfortable with
Windows and was simply looking at FreeBSD out of curiosity, your
response probably encouraged him/her very strongly to look elsewhere
to satisfy their curiosities.  Not an admirable performance by any
measure.

I'll get back down off my soapbox now.  Sorry, y'all.  Wont do it
again.

--
Derrick Baumer - Black Duck Software
        <bduk@earthlink.net>