Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:45:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with ThunderLAN NIC driver

Hi,

I have a problem with a ThunderLAN network interface card under
FreeBSD:  It seems like only 10 Mbps is supported, although the
card can do 100 Mbps as well.  The machine is currently running
3.4-stable, but I also tried a 4.0-current snapshot some time
ago.

pciconf -l says:
tl0@pci0:10:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x0012108d rev=0x01 hdr=0x00

This is dmesg from a verbose boot:

tl0: <Olicom OC-2325> irq 10 at device 10.0 on pci0
tl0: Ethernet address: 00:00:24:24:ff:dc
tl0: looking for phy at addr 0
tl0: status: 0
[... this repeats for addr 0 through 1e ...]
tl0: looking for phy at addr 1e
tl0: status: 0
tl0: looking for phy at addr 1f
tl0: status: 1809
tl0: phy at mii address 31
tl0: <TI ThunderLAN 10BT (internal)> 10Mbps full duplex autonegotiating
tl0: autoneg not complete, link status good (half-duplex, 10Mbps)
bpf: tl0 attached

"Link status good" is certainly a lie.  It cannot be good,
because the card is connected to a 100 Mbps hub which cannot
do 10 Mbps at all.  ifconfig says:

tl0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:00:24:24:ff:dc
        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>)
        supported media: 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> autoselect 10base5/AUI 10baseT/UTP 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>

Needless to say, I can't get it to work at 100 Mbps.  It does
work fine at 10 Mbps when I connect it to a different hub.

Reading the tl driver docs and source, it seems like the
ThunderLan chip has an internal PHY that supports 10 Mbps, and
uses an external PHY for 100 Mbps.  And indeed, there's another
chip on the card beside the ThunderLan chip, which I guess is
the 100 Mbps PHY.  FreeBSD's tl driver doesn't seem to
recognize it for some reason.

Any ideas how to proceed?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)