Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:30:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: deleting XF863 w/o package?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Otter wrote:

> Mike,
> My girlfriend was in the same boat. She had installed XF86-3 via
> sysinstall at the time of original installation a few weeks ago. Since
> then, she had decided to install 4.01_3 and just built it from ports,
> and configured as normal. I hate to be the one to disappoint, but it
> doesn't seem like it'll be much of a problem. You could always wipe
> out your /dev directory for a little excitement!
> -Otter

Yeah, if one port want to write over another it pretty much just does.
The new port works well and the old one, I personally don't know here what
happens to it and would be interested to know.
	I installed KDE-1.94 then installed the knapster port (just for
frivolousness). It wanted KDE1.1.2 and a host of other stuff.  It
proceeded to pull it down and install it.  This caused startx to start KDE
1.1.2.  (Worked perfectly well)  But Is there a way here to choose which
version the startKDE in .xinitrc starts up?
	What I ended up doing was pkg_delete kdebase-1.1.2 then pkg_delete
kdebase-1.94 then pkg_add kde_1.94.  It worked, now I have kde1.94 (soon
to be KDE 2-final if it compiles right.  Thanks,
						Tim