Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:20:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      David Simmons <simmons@davidsimmons.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No keyboard at boottime prevents use of keyboard later!

If a keyboard is not present when FreeBSD boots, a keyboard
cannot be plugged in later and used.  This is a real nuisance
in a server environment where machines need to run headless,
but also need to be keyboardable when a keyboard/video cart
is wheeled over to examine the machine.

I'm guessing that the OS is defaulting to using the serial
port as a console, preventing the use of the keyboard as
a console.  I don't know how to disable this behavior.

I realize that a serial console scheme would be cleaner
overall, and I'm planning such a scheme, but it would be nice
in the meantime to not have to power cycle machines that
become unreachable on the network.

I'm using 4.3-STABLE.  Thanks for any assistance.

David

--
David Simmons
Waltham, Massachusetts, USA