Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:55:28 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: backing up

> We expect about 5-8 gb of back up data on a full back-up. Unfortunately, the
> site is over 3.5 hours away, so removing tapes or anything else is not
> really an option except for maybe quarterly. That is actually why I'm
> thinking along the lines of using a hard drive. Failure rates are lower,
> transfer speeds are faster, and data retrieval is much quicker.

Sure it is. Actually, we do it every day. We've got several boxes in
our Colocation and just rsync the contents of them crossover so all
data is atleast two times avaiable. In combination with some cluster
hacks this would even allow somewhat failsafe servers but we didn't
have the time to implement that yet...

Best regards,
 Gabriel