Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:58:02 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using MergeMaster/ Release-to-Stable Process?

Steps 4 & 5 should be done before step 3
...you should usually choose "i" to install and perhaps leave the files
that contain personal settings for later (like hosts, passwd, group,
etc...) During the process you are looking at the "diff" (difference)
between your old files and the new ones so you can see what would change.
You should always copy /etc to /etc.old before mergemaster just in case you
need to get the old file back, or use some of the changed info....

At 12:49 PM 2.13.2002 -0500, B.K. DeLong wrote:
>Hey all -
>
>I'm currently biding my time while a "make buildworld" completes after
>doing a cvsup of 4.5. Previous to this install, I had 4.4 and when I
>completed all the various make commands, I ran mergemaster.
>
>I haven't the slightest clue of how mergemaster works and whether I should
>be merging sources, deleting them or inserting them. Last time I just
>"saved it for later" and did nothing.
>
>Does anyone have a good guide or tips to using mergemaster? Should I just
>merge the new stuff? Insert it?
>
>Also, here's the process I'm using. Is this right?
>
>1. cvsup /etc/stable-supfile
>2. make buildworld
>3. make installworld
>4. make buildkernel KERNCONF=FIREWALL
>5. make installkernel KERNCONF=FIREWALL
>6. mergemaster (what to do when I run it??)
>7. make clean
>
>* Do I need KERNCONF for 2 or 3?
>*Does "make clean" get rid of unneeded files from this process? Or should I
>delete something? Last time I did the cvsup and all the makes plus
>mergemaster I ended up filling /usr with 1GB of stuff
>
>*Is there any place in the above procedure I should be rebooting?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
>

>--
>B.K. DeLong
>bkdelong@pobox.com
>617.877.3271
>
>http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
>http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
>http://www.attrition.org                       Security.
>http://www.artemisiabotanicals.com     Herb.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"