Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:47:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        wibble <wibble@obsidian.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound woes (ducks for flame)

Have you considered that maybe your sound card is not supported?  There
aren't THAT many cards that are.  I have a Via sound chipset on my
motherboard (new support in 4.2RC1 but I still just get white noise with
pcm).  So I went to Best Buy and bought a $19 ISA sound card that said it
supported SB,SB pro and windows sound system standards.  I recompiled my
kernel with pcm and had sound right away for xmms.  So if you're really
frustrated, buy a new card or check the HARDWARE.TXT files to see if your
card is supported.  Or try to use a bridge driver (I've no idea how).
At least make sure you've upgraded to 4.1.1 at least.  Maybe wait a few
days for 4.2-release.  Good luck,

						Tim

"A government big enough to give you everything
you want, is a government big enough to take
from you everything you have."
				-Gerald Ford