Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:13:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Socks 5 question

After working out some of the shared library stuff in Socks 5, I was able to
get it to work (sort-of).  My setup is a Socks 5 server through a Socks 4
server then to the internet.  The first problem is that I can reach the
internet, but the connection has some sort of "garbage" and a telnet connection
will immediately close after the login prompt (^D is getting sent??).

The other problem lies in the ld.so area.  Socks 5 tries to get the shared
library to preload before any of the rest of the libraries (has socksified
version of connect, etc in its shared library that need to overide the ones
in libc).  It tries to do this via an environment varieable LD_PRELOAD, which
does not exist under FreeBSD.  Is there any other way of achieving the same
result??

BTW I am running 2.1.0-RELEASE

--
Keith Mitchell            |      The real danger is not that computers will
Chesapeake/Blacksburg VA  |      begin to think like men, but that men will