Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:21:58 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Security-related Question

--j2AXaZ4YhVcLc+PQ

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:07:38PM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	After reading the Security section of the FreeBSD web
> site, I still have a question which has been asked of me and
> which I am relaying.
>=20
> 	If security holes are discovered in other versions of
> UNIX, say, Solaris or one of the Linux varieties, is there any
> mechanism under FreeBSD to see whether or not the same hole or
> exploit possibility exists in FreeBSD?

There are a number of us in the FreeBSD community who check this sort
of thing, and when problems are found to occur they are corrected ASAP
and an appropriate advisory is released.  FreeBSD has a much more
rapid and complete response to security vulnerabilities than the
commercial OS vendors, who often take months to acknowledge and fix
publically known vulnerabilities.  The worst case I've seen for this
is HP who took something like 6 months to fix a remotely-exploitable
BIND hole.  Sun also routinely take months to release fixes for
serious things like root holes.

Kris
--j2AXaZ4YhVcLc+PQ

--j2AXaZ4YhVcLc+PQ--