Date:      22 Oct 2002 23:43:43 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Bryan Cassidy <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>
Cc:        joe <joe-dated-1035779413.32adc7@dubium.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X will not start as root - need help

Bryan Cassidy <bryanc2000@insightbb.com> writes:

> Have you even wondered why no one has replied to your question? Have
> you heard of "su"? Maybe you should think for a second about your
> question. I just dont see the point nor do I understand the point in
> loging into X as root. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Why mention "su"?  He said he was running "startx" as root.  Maybe you
should think for a second about your answers, if you're going to get
snippy.  The reason for "loging into X" as root is that it won't run
otherwise, since X is no longer "SUID root" and he wanted to not use
the Xwrapper.  Get it now?  Even more sorry now too, I hope.

I doubt if he gained anything by avoiding Xwrapper, but it's usually
a good instinct to reduce the number of variables like that.

As for the orignal question, it looks nasty.  Some kind of library
problem.  Like something didn't get built or installed correctly.
Rebuild/reinstall the X software?