Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:31:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Barriscale <barrisca@wisdom.ucc.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installation problems

I'm having trouble installing freebsd for some reason. 	VERSION 2.2.5

One problem is that I use partition magic to partition my hard disk but the freebsd fdisk just tells me
that, that section of the disk is of an unknown file system, therefore meaning that I cannot create a slice
on the disk. Also on the sub section where you are asked create the file system I have some difficutly with
that too. The defaults won't work for this. (a key).

My second problem is that when I tried to install freebsd with nothing else on the entire disk, I managed to
get through the entire installation and I was able to create the entire file system but when I got to the
actual start of the installation of the files the whole thing hung. I think that there might be a problem
with the cd-rom drive, but I've tried the live file system on the second cd before and that works fine. Will
I have to modify the kernel for the cd-rom drive. Thanks.

Paul Barriscale
barrisca@wisdom.ucc.ie