Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:23:50 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        benedict@echonyc.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X looking for /dev/ttyv4

Levels of Indirection writes:
> When I attempt to start X, I get the following error:
>
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86OpenSyscons: Cannot open /dev/ttyv4 (No such file or directory)
> >
> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> I tried cd'ing to /dev and running ./MAKEDEV ttyv4, but I just get

./MAKEDEV vt4

> > ttyv4 - no such device name
>
> Attached is a copy of my ttys file, in case that is significant.

No, in this case it isn't.

BTW, contrary to popular belief it really *won't* hurt you to
browse a script file (which is all MAKEDEV is). You may even
learn something. :-)  MAKEDEV has lots of very helpful comments
at the top.

Best of luck,

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn