Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 14:57:44 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "Corey Brune" <brune@sdf.lonestar.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reading from batch file with ex

mike mentioned
> Corey Brune <brune@sdf.lonestar.org> types:
> > try:
> > ex < filename

> Or try a here document if you really want it in place (and I changed
> the s to a c to make it easier to read):

> ex <<EOF
> 1c
> /compat/linux/bin/sh
> .
> EOF

ahh, that's what I'm looking for--I'd like to keep it all in one file
(so I can lose it all at once :)

> Though you'd probably be a *lot* better off using sed for this.

> mv script script.old
> sed '1s;^.*$;#!/compat/linux/bin/sh; < script.old > script
>
> or maybe that should be:
>
> sed '1c

There's something far back in my memories trying to claim that there
was something dangerous about using sed this way, but i'ts beyond my
current ability to remember . . .

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail