Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 01:57:39 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, DrAcO <XDrAcOX@mci2000.COM>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Installing X-Windows

At 08:02 PM 6/12/98 -0700, Donald Burr wrote:

>* Enlightenement -- not a clone of anything, but a really cool looking WM.
>  It, too, has its own set of devoted followers.
>        /usr/ports/x11/enlightenment

Yikes!  I had to comment on Enlightenment.  First of all, don't use it on a
486, it's too slow.  Secondly, it resembles a lot of those Adobe Photoshop
plugins, seriously!  It's SO overly graphical that it's hard to make heads
or tails of (it looks like the guy who used to do the Wired Magazine
layouts designed it ;-).  But I found it to be interesting anyway.

Also of mention in FreeBSD is xdm, a windows manager that can help
integrate several different X-clients.  For those that haven't, try typing
xdm while logged on as root (only root can use it).  It's pretty cool - the
only problem is, it's hard to get rid of - when you exit it, it keeps
coming back!  The only way I know of to get rid of it is to open a terminal
window as root and type 'killall xdm' (without the single quotes).  There
are probably things you can edit in the config files, too.  But give xdm a
try once you start playing with some different X clients.

BTW, something to watch out for when installing packages... many of them
have dependencies on other packages, so if you're downloading and
installing from floppies or a DOS partition rather than installing  from
CD-ROM, you may find yourself going back over and over to download more
stuff that's needed.  Another reason to get a CDROM I guess (sigh... I'm SO
cheap... if I can get it free off the Net, I won't pay... :-)