Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:49:33 +0200
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@tbv.se>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Studying traffic on a mail server

We have a FreeBSD machine in the DMZ which is both a DNS server and an SMTP
server.  It has been displaying somewhat weird behaviour recently and I am
wondering whether someone is playing tricks with it.  We have been using the
risky version of bind and version 8.9.3 - also risky, I believe - of
sendmail.  The machine also has SSH2.

I'm in the process of updating bind and sendmail to the newest versions and
I am wondering what kind of toos are available which might help me see what
is going on in the machine and whether it is being attacked.  I have a
number of Bugtraq messages to look through for problems with these three
programs but any direct advice from the assembled talent - and even general
advice on securing this machine - would be much appreciated as I feel very
much out of my depth.

TIA for any help.

mvh/regards

James