Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:18:28 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [current tinderbox] failure on ...all...

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

Hi DES,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:03:28AM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy@gmail.com> writes:
> > I suspect that the tinderboxes use a different (stricter) set of
> > compiler flags than the 'make buildworld' / 'make universe' ones.
> > Specifically, the regular build uses -fno-strict-aliasing.
>=20
> the tinderbox uses -O2 -pipe.
>=20
> -fno-strict-aliasing is evil.  its only function is to hide bugs.
> please please please do not use it when testing new code.
>=20
hammer# uname -sr
FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT
hammer# make -f /dev/null -V CFLAGS
-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe=20

Running tinderboxes with different flags has shown (numerous times
now) to be a PITA.  *PLEASE* line it up with the current CFLAGS,
or rather do *not* set CFLAGS by its own, but let "make foo" set
them as defined by sys.mk version from the compiled sources.

And if you feel that -fno-strict-aliasing is evil, why not dike it
out from sys.mk?

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov