Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:30:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        wbishop@mindspring.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network set up help...

--- Worth Bishop <wbishop@mindspring.com> wrote:

> -  Have created and verified a hostname in my
> rc.conf file.
> -  Have verified the ethernet connection is up and
> happy.
> -  Have created /etc/hosts file with all nodes
> identified and IP addresses
>    assigned in the 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, ...
> series.
> -  Have pinged localhost and confirmed it is working
> as it should.

I prefer setting up DNS to running a host file. A
hosts file will only give you lookups from the local
box, not others, which may be your problem.....

> When I ping my FreeBSD box, assigned 192.168.1.1 IP
> address in /etc/hosts, it
> is identified by the system with the ISP-assigned
> dynamic IP address, instead
> of 192.168.1.1 and all packets are lost.

Is this from an internal box (Maybe a Windows Box),
and what is the command you are using - ping freebie
or ping 195.168.0.1? how is the hosts file on this
windows box?

> The instructions in the Pedantic Primer are:  "If
> the IP address...is not
> 192.168.1.1...return to Section 2.4 adn review your
> entires in '/etc/hosts'.
> Have done this, and the entries are as instructed.
>
> Can't see any other boxes on my network (have
> updated the Windows/hosts files
> also for the local IP addresses).
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Worth Bishop

I hope we can work it out, but I actually have never
used a hosts-file setup, I ran Bind on my first
machine, groked (To some extent) the zone and config
files, and do it on any other machines. I would
recommend this to you.

Robert Backhaus

=====
Robert Backhaus robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk
      Unless otherwise indicated, All `F's in acronyms
         shal be deemed to stand for `Forgotten'!