Date:      18 Sep 2002 21:16:28 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome irritations

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 20:32, walt wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> I just got bitten again by the latest gnome upgrades :0(
>
> I know now what to do because I've been thru it twice before,
> but each time it's still a PIA.
>
> I still use gnumeric, which requires the old gnome1.4 packages,
> and when those get re-installed by portupgrade I get the old 1.4
> panel instead of the new one, so I have to deinstall/reinstall
> gnomesession to fix it.
>
> Then, when the FreeBSD version gets bumped, as it just did,
> gnome-system-monitor stops running which requires a deinstall/
> reinstall of libgtop2, which I have to stop and figure out
> each time.
>
> Any chance that gnumeric will soon be running under gnome2 ?
> At least I could delete the old gnome stuff and eliminate
> one of the problems.

There is already a gnumeric2 port that is GNOME 2 native.  If, however,
you want to use the more stable gnumeric, it should also work under
GNOME 2 without installing gnomecore.  You should check
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q6, and see if any of the
ports you're installing have USE_GNOME=yes in their Makefiles.  If you
do, let gnome@ know, and we'll work on converting them to GNOMENG.

Joe