Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 17:13:16 +0400
From:      "Zaitsev Serg" <root@aprcity.ru>
To:        <dinoex@FreeBSD.org>, <ports@FreeBSD.org>, <solar@openwall.com>
Subject:   popa3d-0.5.1

Dear dinoex@FreeBSD.org .
On http://www.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html you pointed as maintainer secure
POP3 server popa3d-0.5.1.
I allready have fully working POP3 server cucipop. It is good. But it has no
support SSL tunneling and I unrest for probability to catch plain text
accounts and passwords from traffic. I have find out only one secure POP3
server from lot ones on http://www.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html.
I had compile popa3d-0.5.1 on FreeBSD 4.4. POP3 is OK, POP3S do not.

su root
fetch http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.6d.tar.gz

Do you know what is difference with
http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-engine-0.9.6d.tar.gz ?

tar zxf openssl-0.9.6d.tar.gz
cd openssl-0.9.6d
./config
make
make test
make install

fetch http://www.openwall.com/popa3d/popa3d-0.5.1.tar.gz
tar zxf popa3d-0.5.1.tar.gz
cd popa3d-0.5.1
cat INSTALL

/usr/bin/ee params.h
#define    AUTH_PASSWD    0
#define    AUTH_SHADOW   1
change to
#define    AUTH_PASSWD    1
#define    AUTH_SHADOW   0

/usr/bin/ee Makefile
#CFLAGS += -DHAVE_OPENSSL
#LIBS += -lcrypt
#LIBS += -lcrypto
change to
CFLAGS += -DHAVE_OPENSSL
LIBS += -lcrypt
LIBS += -lcrypto

make
adduser popa3d
vipw
popa3d:*:1002:1002::0:0:Secure POP3:/var/empty:/sbin/nologin

mkdir -m 755 /var/empty
chown popa3d:popa3d /var/empty
make install

ee /etc/inetd.conf
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/popa3d popa3d
pop3s stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/popa3d popa3d

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.conf`
netstat -a | grep pop3

ipfw -q add allow ip from any to any

All is OK with POP3 (port 110), but does not work POP3S (port 995).
By 'netstat -a' both ports is listened, but then I switch email client (MS
Outlook Express) to POP3S, after connection established, no traffic, timeout
occured.
After 'telnet localhost 995' I see usually POP3 session.
Where did I mistake? How to power POPA3D to speak on POP3S?

Zaitsev Serg, root@aprcity.ru