Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:30:16 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for bsd.port.mk -- [really about bsd.java.mk which then gets included]

Comments:

Variables--

The variables cover my needs in this area.  I think that actual
implementation will result in some proliferation though because it's
considerably easier two implement a variable with two states in a make
script than one with poly states.  :)

Also, in playing around with building a bsd.java.mk, I've already found
that defining variables like:

JAVA_CMD	# full path to selected java
JAVAC_CMD	# full path to selected javac
JAR_CMD		# full path to selected jar
JAVA_LIB	# full path of directory holding tools.jar or
classes.zip

become critically useful once you get to attempting an implementation.

Selection Order --

The runtime ordering makes great sense--theoretically.  Practically,
it's effect is the same as the current use of dependency on JDK 1.1.8.
I believe it makes sense to implement the full rigor of this selection
process only after Sun and the Foundation have arrived at an agreement
that allows higher-order JDK's and JRE's to be built AND distributed by
FreeBSD.  Until that time, rules 3 and 4 should be skipped.

But, we're making progress!

Now, we need some competing implementations so the gory details can be
worked out.

--
jmc                               ||  MacroHard --                   \
                                   ||     the perfection of form over |