Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:35:59 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Antuan Avdioukhine <root@eltex.spb.ru>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Strange thing happened

Hi!

	Sometime ago I discovered very strange problem. When using
dial-on-demand (iijppp on tun0) I configured following string for
IP address defenition: 'set ifaddr 0 195.5.151.0/24 255.255.255.0' (listed
in manpages), 195.5.151.* is 'other side' address. Default routing turned
to tun0 interface. When I tried to up connection (pinging outside or smth
else) I got success connection and address asignment for tun0 (checked via
ifconfig), but some applications such as ftp, fetch, mirror reports
'cannot bind address' (passive mode connections are ok). After
analysing IP traffic comming from my side I found that _all_ traffic
(except for other local workstations which traffic is gating via my PC)
originates from IP addrress 255.255.255.255. When I changed 'my side'
default addrress to fixed I asked to be assigned by ISP, prroblem
disappeared, but I cannot be sure whether it was occasionaly or not. Can
someone comment it?
	I'm using RELEASE-2.2.2 with packaged ppp, nothing changed after
installation and kernel recompiling.

Antuan