Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:20:35 -0600
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V5 #36

Actually, most providers won't bat an eye if you have a cable/DSL router
waiting for them to plug it into. We told the tech that came out that we
were using a DSL router, and he just handed us the sheet with our info on
it. I fired up a web browser on one of the linux boxes and proceeded to set
it up. They did tell us we were on our own for technical support. Absolutely
no problem with that - SW Bell has not exactly impressed me with their
competence (at least as far as DSL goes) The only caveat is that we were
using a third party ISP, and are not using PPPOE - ours was the last of the
static IP's.

Oh, and if an ISP/service provider tried to push a USB solution on me - I
would ask them if they offered an ethernet version, and hang up if they
didn't. I've seen USB ethernet connections, and I'm not impressed. A friend
of mine drops off the network if she plugs her digital camera into the USB
port. Unfortunately, her Starband receiver will only use ethernet if she
opens the unit and removes the ethernet -> USB adapter board - voiding the
warranty.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com