Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patches Question

Well specifically I am referring to the ports
collection.  Whenever I do a make install for a port,
there is always a section saying something along the
lines of "Getting FreeBSD Patches."

I am wondering what these consist of, since I seldom
see neseccary patches for other systems, except for
those that the vendor/developer specifically says
should be installed.  When I make install a port and
it does its magic, where do these patches come from?
Vendor? FreeBSD project? Third-party? These patches do
seem to be FreeBSD specific, and I am wondering what
kinds of technical issues they are patching.  Memory?
Networking? Differences between FreeBSD's architecture
and a SysV based system? etc..

Thank you,

Hans

--- Louis LeBlanc