Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:54:35 +0100
From:      Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal@gmail.com>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Share /var/cache/pkg/ between machines

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au> wrote:
> I'd like to share packages between a couple of nearly identical machines in
> a server farm. I think I have the following options:
>
> 1. Set up apache httpd on one primary machine to serve the packages to the
> others by pointing website root to to /var/cache/pkg/ and setting
> PACKAGESITE in the other servers. This looks like it might work except that
> repo.txz is missing from  /var/cache/pkg/
>
> 2. rsync  /var/cache/pkg/ from the primary machine to the others. Set
> PACKAGESITE on all machines to point to some central repository where all
> these packages originally were built (we run poudriere in another location).
>
> 3. Something else
>

> How do other people cache/proxy built packages under pkgng? I don't want to
> have to pull the same 80Mb JDK package onto 10 machines across the internet.
>

> Thanks
>
> Ari

One option is to use poudriere, and set WITH_PKGNG=yes  in
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf (or the appropriate one for one
specific jail, if you have multiple). That should make it build
pkgng-style packages, including a repo.txz - file. Then host the
corresponding package directory with some http server, and set it as a
pkgng packagesite on the others.

I was playing with this a few weeks ago, and it took a few tries
(including more than one "why doesn't it create a repo.txz") before I
got it.

--
Daniel Nebdal